Sunday 18 March 2007

Aims and Doubts

I am about to commence research into the culture of academic computer service departments and academic libraries.

The conjunction of services in this University's library and computer service department happily coincides with the period in which we Librarianship students start researching for our dissertations.

I intend to use methods adapted from the ethnographic study of culture and organisation.
This blog was originally intended as a "field notebook" in which I could write up and organise my observations and interpretations of cultures within this university's new library. Blogs seem like the perfect tool for this task: easy to manipulate, readily accessible, constantly editable. However, it has become increasingly apparent to me that various ethical issues must be addressed before any research of this nature is made completely public.

I think that on balance, although I still intend to use a blog in this way, a more anonymous one would be more suitable.

Therefore, this entry is merely a cyber-footprint with no companions.

No comments: